Combined hormonal contraception
Myths & Facts About Hormonal Contraception
Is taking the pill associated with fewer health risks than pregnancy?
Answer: Only 4%strongly agreed!
Misperceptions about pills & pregnancy!
- Women appear to overestimate the risk of hormonal contraception and underestimate the risk of pregnancy
- They might not be aware of any additional non-contraceptive benefits
Strategies to improve adherence, acceptability, continuance of hormonal methods of contraception and to prevent unwanted pregnancies
- Increase access to hormonal contraception
- Dispel myths and misperceptions about hormonal contraception
- Raise awareness and knowledge about additional benefits of hormonal contraception
- Improve prescribing practice
- Improve physicians knowledge
- Structured counseling including the choice to choose
Making evidence from studies in practice
- Cardiovascular events
Using hormonal contraceptives leads to future infertility
Studies confirm that hormonal contraceptive does not lead to infertility
- When taking hormonal contraceptives, return to ovulation can occur as quickly as 2 weeks after cessation of the contraception1
- Advancing age plays a role in infertility2
- A woman’s fertility peaks between the ages of 20 and 30/li>
- After 30, fertility slowly declines until menopause
- Because a woman may not have tried to become pregnant before, she may not have been aware of any infertility issues
1 Hatcher RA, Trussel Nelson AL, Cates W Jr. Stewart F, Kowal Contraceptve Technology. 19th Ed. New York, NY: Ardent Media: 2007
2 Wilson JR, Carrington ER, Ledger WJ, eds. Obstetrics and Gynecology. 7th ed. St. Louis, MO: Mosby 1983.
Disclaimer: The information contained in this website is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by MMA Online Contraceptive Course and while we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.