Combined hormonal contraception
Long term safety of hormonal contraception
Choice of pill
- Acne-choose more oestrogen dominant pill
- Breast tenderness-choose more progestogen dominant pill or lower oestrogen
- Nausea-choose more progestogen dominant pill or lower oestrogen
- PFI headaches- Exclude migraine. Try lower oestrogen
- Breakthrough bleeding- Exclude other causes. Try stronger progestogen /more progestogen dominant pill
- Mood swings-choose more oestrogen dominant pill
Discontinuation rates are high!
Only 55% of the women refilled a prescription at 3 months
Murphy PA, Brixner D. Hormonal contraceptive discontinuation patterns according to formulation: investigation of associations in an administrative claims database. Contraception. 2008 Apr;77(4):257-63
Disclaimer: The information contained in this website is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by MMA Online Contraceptive Course and while we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.