Progesterone Only Method Of Contraception
Progesterone Only Injectables
- Intramuscular progestin are Depo medroxy progesterone acetate ,DMPA 150mg and norethisterone enanthate, NET-EN).
- DMPA is an aqueous suspension and is in a prefilled syringe. It needs to be vigorously shaken to ensure complete suspension of the content.
- NET-EN is a thick, oily fluid that needs to be drawn out to syringe. The ampule needs to be emerged in warm water to reduce the vicosity prior.
- Both are administered intramuscularly into the upper outer quadrant of the buttock or in the deltoid as an alternative
- Typical use Failure Rate is 6 %
- Use maybe continued till age 50 years.
- Concurrent use of medication ie antibiotics or liver enzyme – inducing drug will not reduce its efficacy.
- There is no association of DMPA use with mood swing, libido and headache.
- It alters the bleeding pattern and may cause ammenorhoea amongst user after 1 year of usage. ( 70%)
- There is a small association of weight gain amongst users after 6 months. However the weight gain is mostly due to water retention.
- There maybe a small loss of BMD with will recover after discontinuation, however there is no increase in fracture risk.
- There may a delay in fertility return after 1 year of usage.
Disclaimer: The information contained in this website is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by MMA Online Contraceptive Course and while we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.