Long Acting Reversible (LARCs)
Intra uterine devices (IUD or IUCD) & Intra uterine systems (IUS)
Antibiotics Prophylaxis for Bacterial Endocarditis
- NICE guidelines recommends that antibiotics prophylaxis is no longer offered routinely for defined interventional procedures.
- Antibiotics prophylaxis are not routinely required for the insertion or removal of IUCD even in women with conditions where the risk of infective endocarditis may be increased
1) Endometrial and other cancer protection
- the 52 mg LNG_IUS has been shown to provide endometrial protection from the stimulatory efects of estrogen.
- Use of a Copper IUCD may be associated with a reduced risk of endometrial cancer and cervical cancer.
2) Dysmenorrhoea/ Pelvic Pain
- the LNG _ IUS may reduce pain associated with primary dysmenorrhoea, endometriosis or adenomyosis.
3) Heavy menstrual bleeding
- the LNG_IUS is effective in reducing menstrual blood loss and can be used in the management of heavy menstrual bleeding.
Health risks & Concerns
- Altered menstrual bleeding patterns are a common reason for discontinuation of Copper IUCDs and LNG_IUS
- – There is some evidence to suggest that bleeding patterns in IUCDs and LNG_IUS users tend to improve with time after insertion ( more than 3 months)
- – At one year, infrequent bleeding is usual with the LNG_IUS and some women may experience amenorrhoea.
Disclaimer: The information contained in this website is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by MMA Online Contraceptive Course and while we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.