Long Acting Reversible (LARCs)
The American College Of Obstetricians & Gynaecologist Committee Opinion
Intrauterine device & implants are the best reversible methods for preventing unintended pregnancy, rapid repeat pregnancy & abortion in young women.
American Academy of Paediatrics
POLICY STATEMENT ON CONTRACEPTION FOR ADOLESCENT 2014
Recommends That LARCS Methods Should Be Considered First Line Contraceptive Choices For Adolescents
Effectiveness of LARCs compared to other methods
THE CONTRACEPTIVE CHOICE PROJECT
- New England Journal of Medicine May 2012
- Prospective Cohort Study
- August 2007 to September 2011
- 7,486 participants
- Compared IUCD & Implants (LARC’s) vs Depoprovera, Pill, Patch or Ring
- Pill, patch or ring user was 20 x higher risk of unintended pregnancy compared to LARC’s
- Participants less than 21 years of age who used pills, patch or ring had 2x the risk of unintended pregnancy compare to those over 21 years old.
Disclaimer: The information contained in this website is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by MMA Online Contraceptive Course and while we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.