Long Acting Reversible (LARCs)
When can it be safely inserted?
- Up to Day 5 without need for additional protection
- At any time if it is reasonably certain that she is not pregnant with additional protection for the next 7 days.
Timing of Repeat Insertions
- Women who return on schedule or earlier do not need additional contraceptive protection.
- If after 3 years, additional contraceptive protection is needed, Pregnancy testing and Emergency contraception need to be considered if UPSI has occured.
Benefits and Risks of Progestogen Only Implant
- 1) Non Contraceptive benefits:
- Dysmenorrhoea and ovulatory pain may be alleviated.
- May be beneficial in the treatment of Endometriosis.
- 2) Health Concerns:
- Little or No increase risk of venous thromboembolism, stroke or myocardial infarction.
- No evidence of clinically significant adverse effect on bone mineral density.
- Insufficient data to determine effect on breast cancer risk.
- Absolute risk of Ectopic is very low in view of Ovulation suppresion action.
Disclaimer: The information contained in this website is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by MMA Online Contraceptive Course and while we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.