Long Acting Reversible (LARCs)
Progestogen only Implant
- Single non-biodegradable, subdermal rod licensed for up to 3 years of use.
- Each implant contains 68 mg Etonogestrel ( ENG)
- The release rate from 60-70 ug/day in weeks 5-6 to approximately 25-30 ug/day at the end of third year.
- Nexplanon NXT ( detectable by Xray with addition of barium sulphate)
- Primary mode of action is Prevention of Ovulation
- Overall pregnancy rate is less than 1 in 1000 over 3 years.
Who is Eligible? WHO MEC 2015
- Acute DVT/PE (3)
- Positive ( or unknown) antiphospholipid antibodies (3)
- Unexplained Vaginal bleeding ( before evaluation) (3)
- Migraine with aura (3) (C)
- Current and History of IHD or Stroke (3) (C)
Disclaimer: The information contained in this website is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by MMA Online Contraceptive Course and while we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.