Emergency Contraception & Sterilisation
- Any unprotected sexual intercourse (UPSI)
- Sexual assault
- Missed pill
- for COCP if miss > 2 active pills
- for progesterone only pill – >27 hours after last POP or >36 hours after last desogestrel (cerazette)
- IM Depo Provera
- >14 weeks since last injection
- removal without any new method
- missing thread/unable to localise IUCD
- expelled IUCD
- Condom accident – broken/came off
- Risk of pregnancy
- Risk of sexually transmitted infection
Important points in history taking
- last normal menstrual period; menstrual cycles
- is she already on contraception? any complications/issues with previous contraceptive methods?
- how many hours ago was the episode of unprotected sexual intercourse
- any other episodes of unprotected intercourse in this cycle?
- is she on any medication – antibiotics/anti-epileptics etc that may reduce efficacy of EC
- any medical problems or contraindications to OC
Assess risk of sexually transmitted infections
- any past history of STI?
- any contraindication for IUCD?
Disclaimer: The information contained in this website is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by MMA Online Contraceptive Course and while we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.